As one of the most popular floor trends of 2023, hardwood flooring is here to stay. With messes and spills being a common occurrence in homes, choosing the right kind of finish for your hardwood floors has proven to be a priority. When it comes to hardwood flooring installation, there are two popular options for the finish: oil-based and water-based.
We’ll go over the pros and cons of each option, how they look, and who they’re best for.
Oil-Based Finish: The Pros and Cons
You want your floor to work for you not just visually, but functionally too. With an oil-based finish on your hardwood floor, you get more than just a catalog picturesque look, here are the other pros:
- Thickness – Oil-based finish is thicker than water-based, so it helps prevent surface scratching.
- Tone – Oil-based finish has a rich, amber tone to it. It goes well with warm-colored decor.
However, as with all things, there are cons:
- Longer drying time – Each layer of this finish can take up to 12 hours to dry fully, so you can’t do more than one coat in a day.
- Smell – Oil-based finish has a much stronger smell. We recommend that you and your family leave your home while this finish dries.
Water-Based Finish: The Pros and Cons
The other popular option is a water-based finish. It’s just as aesthetically pleasing but adds extra protection against messes and wear. So if you have little ones for pets—this is the hardwood flooring installation for you. Here are the pros:
- Color – Water-based finish has a milky tone that won’t yellow over time. It goes well with modern cool-toned stains.
- Drying Time – Because water-based finish is much thinner, it dries in less time, so we can apply more layers. Once the final layer is applied, you can walk on it in as little as 6 hours.
- Commercial-Grade Hardness – If you have heavy furniture or pets, you may need an extra hard finish. You have the option of commercial-grade hardness with a water-based finish.
But, like oil-based finishes, there are cons:
- More Layers – Because water-based finishes are thinner, you may need more layers to achieve the thickness you want.
With all of this in mind, it’s important to consider your lifestyle and needs before you decide which kind of finish is right for you. To start the process of finding the right hardwood floor for you, find your local hardwood flooring installation company and get a diagnosis!
Begin Your Dream Hardwood Floor Installation With Atlanta Floor One
Floor installation doesn’t have to be a hassle, with Atlanta Floor One, you can get the perfect hardwood flooring installation quickly and easily. We offer a variety of options for oil-based and water-based finishes that will ensure your floors look fantastic while giving them extra protection from wear and tear.
We are committed to helping you find the perfect flooring solution for your home, so contact us today to learn more and get started on your dream hardwood floor installation.